The Eisenhower Institute has established the following policy and procedures to ensure that trips organized by the Institute are taken in the most effective, safe and cost-conscious manner, in full compliance with local, state, federal and/or national and international laws; applicable health regulations/guidance; and Gettysburg College policies. This policy applies to all travelers.
International travel health and safety
The well-being of campus community members is Gettysburg’s top priority. To help prepare and support campus members who travel internationally, Gettysburg College works with International SOS (ISOS). ISOS provides health and safety information, emergency assistance, and other services for all students, staff, and faculty traveling internationally on college business who are covered by Gettysburg's Global Insurance.
Gettysburg College requires all campus community members traveling abroad for college business to have medical evacuation and repatriation insurance coverage. Gettysburg offers a Global Medical Insurance policy that has medical evacuation and repatriation and international health insurance through CHUBB, International SOS, and additional benefits that are essential to international travelers. This insurance does not replace the student's primary insurance policy, but will cover certain emergency services when traveling, such as the need for evacuation.
The Eisenhower Institute will register each student traveling internationally through the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This program is a free service provided by the U.S. government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP provides users with travel warnings and alerts, and allows users to receive routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
International phone plan
The Eisenhower Institute requires trip participants to have an international phone plan while traveling abroad. Participants must confirm their international phone number prior to travel.
- All travelers must be fully vaccinated.
- Follow local laws and public health guidance.
- Wear N95 masks while traveling in airplanes and other crowded spaces.
- The Eisenhower Institute will provide testing in accordance with travel requirements. Travelers may be required to seek additional testing at their own cost if they are informed of close contact exposure or are symptomatic.
- Travel with a photocopy of your passport and vaccine card.
- Download WhatsApp and confirm you have been added to the trip group.
- Download the Google Translate app and the language pack for your destination.
- Use the buddy system if you split off from the group at any point.
- Stay where you are if you are unintentionally separated from the group.
- Medications: Please pack any required medication. Make sure your medication is legal in the countries you are visiting.
- Passports & Vaccine Cards: Travel with additional hardcopies and an electronic copy of your passport and vaccination record.*
- Thermometer: Bring a thermometer to monitor your symptoms while traveling.*
- Money: Check with your bank to determine whether bank cards or credit cards are the best way for you to make payments or withdraw foreign currency.
- Luggage: Pack light—you are responsible for carrying your bags.
- Attire: Bring climate appropriate clothing for the duration of travel, including professional attire.
If you have any questions about the Institute's travel policy or health and safety practices, please contact us at 717-337-6685.